Bills is one of Xero’s most loved features. It helps you track and pay bills on time, have a clear overview of your accounts payable, and gain a better understanding of your cash flow.
As part of our commitment to ‘Building on Beautiful’ — which is about continuously upgrading our technology to build new features faster, giving our platform a consistent look and feel, and making sure we keep accessibility top of mind — we’re refreshing the bills experience in Xero.
Last year, we updated the ‘import’ page in bills. Next on our list is ‘Bills to pay’. Here are some of the changes you can expect to see on this page in the months ahead.
What’s new in bills to pay?
- The new, responsive design is in line with our other upgraded pages in Xero, with increased font size and white space that supports our journey to meeting global accessibility standards.
- If you like, you can use the ‘compact view’ toggle — available in the overflow menu — to reduce the size of the table and fit more bills on your screen. We introduced this as a direct result of your feedback on other upgraded pages across Xero.
- The search bar will now live at the top of your bills list rather than behind the search button, and will dynamically update as you type.
- Start and end date filters will live on the right of the search bar, as well as behind a filter button.
- You can use the filter button to find deleted and voided items, as well as expense claims. All filters will appear at the bottom of the search bar for easy reference.
- If you switch tabs, your filters won’t travel with you. But when you return to a previous tab the original filter will still be applied.
- The ‘New bill’ button will be green and located on the right-hand side of the page, like many of our other upgraded pages in Xero.
- A new green dropdown menu will include key actions like ‘New repeating bill’, ‘New credit note’ and ‘Import bills’.
- Additional actions like ‘Export bills’, ‘Create bill from email’, eInvoicing (Australia, NZ and Singapore), and lending (Australia and UK) will live in the overflow menu on the right-hand side of the page.
- On some tabs, individual bills will have an overflow menu that lets you take more actions, like ‘Approve’, ‘Submit for approval’, ‘Delete’ and ‘Print’.
- The order of the columns within the table has changed, and any files previewed will display next to the list rather than over it (you won’t be able to drag the file preview around anymore).
- When foreign currency bills are selected in the list, the total amount displayed at the top of the list will automatically convert to your primary currency.
- When you approve bills in bulk and select ‘view’ within the pop-up message, you’ll be taken to a stand-alone ‘Approved bills’ page next, rather than the ‘Awaiting payment’ tab.
- When bills are selected, the total number of bills and amounts will dynamically update as you select and deselect bills in the list.
Changes you need to know about
Once a bill is marked as paid, you’ll no longer be able to send a remittance directly from within the bill. We’ve removed this feature from within the bill as it’s not used very often by customers. Instead, we are guiding our customers to send the remittance from the bills to pay page, or within the payment transaction.
Some functionality previously available on the repeating tab will not be available straight away, but will be reintroduced once our technology upgrade is complete. This includes being able to search and filter and preview files within the repeating bills list. We’ll reintroduce these features in the coming months.
We’re always listening
We hope this version of bills to pay makes it easier for you to keep up to date with your bills, and stay on top of your cash flow. We’ll continue to improve the bills to pay experience and add more functionality over time, as we progress with our technology upgrade and learn from the other updates we’re making across Xero.
As always, we look forward to your feedback, and if you need a hand with any of the changes we’ve introduced, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team for support. Remember, you can also share any feature requests in Xero Product Ideas, so our teams can get your feedback on what you’d most like to see in Xero.